Stop wondering as to why upgrade your WordPress blog when it’s working all fine. Upgrading helps protecting your blog against hacking and related security threats and getting rid of errors and bugs. After knowing that 83% of the hacked blogs had very old versions, upgrading becomes a necessity. Site maintenance forms an integral part of owning and running one.
Upgrading a WordPress blog can be done either manually or through automatic route with the aid of utilities like Fantastico. People find it hard to get back their plugins and WordPress templates in working condition if upgrading is done in auto mode. Manual upgrading is therefore mostly advisable. Enjoy reading this section and gets hands on upgrading your WordPress blog.
- Log in to your admin panel and ‘export’ all your content matter from the blog, including plugins and widgets. This creates a back up of your files in case things go wrong.
- Now look into the top WordPress bar to click ‘update now’. Since we have decided to do the upgrading manually, go for downloading the new version instead of automatic update. After downloading, extract the files from the downloaded folder.
- Go to FTP (file transfer protocol) and the directory where WordPress files are kept. Before doing anything, please note that few files like ‘wp-config.php’, ‘.htaccess’, ‘wp-content’, wp images folder, wp language folder, are all important. Please don’t delete or alter them.
- Now delete all files other than the files mentioned above. Replace them with the files in the downloaded document.
- Run the upgraded files using http://mydomain.com/blog/wp-admin/upgrade.php and install the new version.
- Finally you need to manually install plugins one by one after installation. A few plugins may not perform due to compatibility issues. You can always note them down and download the compatible ones for free. Also check for your WordPress template’s compatibility with the new version.
[Also Read: How To Install Plugins in WordPress Blogs]
Upgrade to the new version and get going with blogging. This manual method of upgrading though looks tedious, is safer and more reliable. Hope the information in the article was of some help to you. Feel free to share this article.